Thursday, September 23, 2010

Author of "Speculative Sky"- Clare Dargin

Clare Dargin is an author of science fiction and science fiction romance books.  Her newest work “Speculative Sky” is available from Red Rose Publishing. 


What inspired you to write this book?
Well, ever since I was a child I always wanted to be a writer.  It was a dream of mine to be published and to write stories that everyone could enjoy.  Speculative Sky was created because I’ve always had a fascination with stories about Extra-Terrestrial Life and S.E.T.I. and I wanted to integrate such a story with a female character as a strong and intelligent lead.


Do you have a specific writing style?  
Yes I do but I am not sure what to call it.  When people read my work I want them to feel as if they are right there in the midst of it all.  I want them to be able to hear, taste, smell and see the action as if it is happening all around them.  I also tend to write tight stories with quick pacing.  It's what I like to read and consequently how I write.


What is the name of your latest book?  And how did you come up with the title?
To be honest I’ve always been attracted and fascinated by the abstract and the symbolic.  I wanted the title to be symbolic of what April Mullen, the main character, has to deal with as an Astronomer and all that came with her assignment.


What is Speculative Sky about?
It is about a woman who takes a chance and leaves for an assignment on a science colony far away from Earth.  As an astronomer it is her job to monitor the stars at night and to record her findings.  Nothing more than that.  But when she arrives, she notices that her new home is a bit odd, and that though there is evidence of life out there… they don’t want her to either acknowledge it or do anything about it.  She of course finds this troubling.


What books have most influenced your life most?
To be honest, in fiction category, it would have to be the old star wars books that came out in the eighties after Return of the Jedi.  The expanded universe books taught me more about atmospheric and expanded universe development then any book I know!  I read them over and over again and learned about non-human creature development, planetary science fiction and description of space travel and not to mention how to write a cool leading man.  I still read them!  


If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Douglas Preston and/or Lincoln Child.  They write incredibly compelling books of which I generally can't put down.

What books are you reading now?  
To be honest and I am almost finished with “Book of the Dead” with Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.  I'll be going through their back list very soon in order to get caught up.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Last night I was thinking about the Friday House about D. K. Gaston and how it's a compelling story about assassins who have no memory of their being programmed and stuff.  I think it's cool.   And several books on the military scifi romance front that I have recently heard about.  I write in a tiny subgenre so it's nice to see what other authors are doing in it.  That way I don't get lonely!

What are your current projects?
Presently I am finishing up the final editing for “Ice and Peace” the sequel to Cold Warriors.  As well as having another expanded universe book in the works.  Not to mention, two futuristic romances that are completely different from my military fiction.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
The Motown Creative Writers Group-- they helped get on the road to being published.  And not to mention the many groups in the Romance community.  They really pointed me in the right direction.  I'm grateful for that.

Do you see writing as a career?
Yes!  One day I hope to do it full time.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Yeah that's why I have to hurry up and get it out of my hands cause I keep changing it!

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
As a child my father use to encourage it.  I use to write stories for my family and give it to them and they would say “Maybe one day you could get this published!”  I was like five.... and then when I was in middle school I found out that S. E. Hinton had been published at sixteen-- I became truly determined then.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Yea, getting through the first draft!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Just get the first draft down on paper and don't be afraid to make stupid mistakes and have dumb lines on paper cause it's the first draft and you are allowing the characters to come alive.  Later on you can fix and micro manage but don't try to do it the first time through cause it will stifle your creativity.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Don't give up on being published!  Try every avenue!  There is away for you!

Where can we find you on the web?
Just about everywhere!  You can google Clare Dargin and find me!  But to make life simple which I'm all for here are some places to start!  My personal web site-- The Haven  http://www.claredargin.host22.com
My Blogs:  Clare's Blog- The Haven  http://www.claredargin.bravejournal.com  and The Embraced: Scribal Love http://theembraced.blogspot.com  
Social Networks:  Myspace-- www.myspace.com/nuncius
Facebook-- search for Clare Dargin-- can't remember the link now!
Bebo and whole bunch more!

You can buy the book at Red Rose Publishing

Thank you!  And I look forward to seeing more of you all!

5 comments:

D L Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D L Jackson said...

Welcome to Paranormalists, Clare. Your story sounds wonderful. I'm a lover of science fiction and romance so I'll have to get this story. Thanks for telling us about Speculative Sky.

Rebecca Leigh said...

Welcome! Your book sounds wonderful!!

Arlene said...

From the awesome title to the bit you told us about this, April Mullen seems a fascinating female lead. I'm also adding Speculative Sky to my reading list. Thanks for sharing.

Vivi Dumas said...

Welcome Clare. Your writing sounds very interesting.